Monday, February 5, 2018

Claire Kann: Let's Talk About Love

When I read the blurb of this book I knew I had to read it. I'm really interested in reading and trying to understand all the different sexualities that didn't have a name when I grew up. And this one was my first book with an asexual main character.

Let's Talk About Love is the story about Alice. Alice is in a relationship, and she's happy. Unfortunately her girlfriend is not that happy, because there's something missing - intimacy and sex, and because she thinks Alice doesn't love her enough she ends the relationship. Alice on the other hand is asexual, but still very much romantically and emotionally involved.

This is a story about accepting yourself, opening up to others - both as an individual and for the prospect of love, and it's about love in a different matter than most people accept as love in today's society. It's an important story to tell, and I think it can help a lot of young people finding themselves and accepting who they are. And maybe get some tips and tricks on how to come out as asexual and finding love in a way they can accept and thrive in.

Alice is a likeable girl, and the story includes love and friendship and family and heartache and heartbreak and cuteness and fluff and all the ingredients a good contemporary novel should have. But I think Alice might've been a bit too bland or boring for me? I don't want to say this, but I feel that she didn't shine, if you know what I mean.

The diversity in this novel was amazing, and it felt natural - as it should be!

It's a good story, and it's important, and I enjoyed this book, but it's not as good as I hoped. I was let down by this, but I don't really know why, maybe I just had set my hopes too high? It's good, but I wanted awesomeness. Still, a good read, and so easy and quick, and definitely worth the time!

/menenia

Follow

2 comments:

  1. Hi Menenia! Wow! I am so shook because this review is so good! I loved reading your thoughts on this highly hyped book! I was thinking of reading this book as well as the summary sounds so good; however, I am going to wait until the price lowers.

    Diversity in books has been getting bigger and better, and reading a story about an asexual would be very interesting. And it seems like you enjoyed this aspect too.

    Thank you for awesomely reviewing this book! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

#24in48: Starting and TBR

I'm doing the #24in48 readathon once again. It's the readathon where the goal is to read for 24 hours in a 48 hours timeframe. S...